The British Columbia Wine Awards - 2012
Welcome to the 2012 British Columbia Wine Awards – the premier British Columbia wine judging competition that recognizes the excellence in winemaking for all British Columbia wineries. The British Columbia Wine Awards are sponsored by Farm Credit Canada, Container World, Grant Thornton & TricorBraun Winepak. With their support, the British Columbia Wine Awards have grown in stature and reputation. These awards offer the British Columbia wine industry the opportunity to have their wines judged by respected wine judges from across North America, be awarded medals of excellence and be recognized on the world stage.
This competition will be judged by 9 judges nominated by our member wineries and who have been invited and confirmed early in the calendar year. Our 9 judges this year include:
1. Kurtis Kolt - Vancouver, British Columbia - Independent Wine Consultant www.kurtiskolt.com
2. Tim Pawsey – Vancouver, British Columbia - Wine and Food Writer - www.hiredbelly.com
3. Stephen Wong – Vancouver, British Columbia - Wine and Food Writer - www.straight.com
5. Jim Martin – Kelowna, British Columbia - Senior Product Consultant, Metro Liquor Kelowna www.metroliquor.com
6. Treve Ring – Victoria, British Columbia - DRINK Editor, EAT Magazine; BC Regional Editor, SIP Northwest www.treve.ca
8. Julie Perrault – SAQ – Montreal blogger and writer for SAQ firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Stephen Schiedel – Vancouver, British Columbia - Portfolio Manager, Wines of Canada, USA and South America www.bcliquorstores.om
The medals – gold, silver and bronze – along with the Best Red Wine ; Best White Wine ; Best Sparkling Wine ; Best Dessert Wine; and the Best New Winery will be awarded at the BC Wine Awards Reception & Tasting on Thursday September 27 in Kelowna 7pm-9pm at the Rotary Centre for the Arts. This is a public event. Each winery that enters will receive two tickets to attend and if you wish to buy more, tickets may be purchased at www.selectyourtickets.com
Eligibility Requirements to Apply
1. Wineries are members in good standing of the Okanagan Wine Festivals (OWFS) Society or wineries based in British Columbia.
2. The wine is labeled and bottled and has a UPC.
3. Table wines have an inventory of 50 cases at time of entry & 5 cases at time of the start of the Fall Okanagan Wine Festival.
4. Specialty wines have an inventory of 25 cases at time of entry & 2 cases at time of the start of the Okanagan Spring Wine Festival.
5. Wine must be made from 100% BC grown grapes, or 100% BC grown fruit.
6. There are no restrictions on the vintage that a winery can enter.
7. If a wine entered wins a gold medal in a previous BC Wine Awards, that particular vintage may not be enter again into this competition.
8. The judges will be nominated by member wineries and shall comprise recognized wine experts across the categories of Canadian wine media; Canadian wine buyer; Canadian sommelier; American wine judge. Judges will award gold, silver and bronze medals based on their knowledge of international standards used at all recognized wine judging competitions in North America.
9. Wineries may be eligible for the best new winery award if they have received their license after January 1 2010.
Fees and Entry Deadlines
1. The BC Wine Awards will be held in September before the start of the Fall Okanagan Wine Festival.
2. Four bottles plus an entry fee of $89.00 +HST per wine entered must accompany each wine entered if you are a winery that is a member of the Okanagan Wine Festivals Society. If you are a non member winery, the entry fee per bottle is $99 + HST. No entries will be allowed without full payment.
3. All entry forms & payment are to be completed ONLINE at www.okanaganwineawards.cm
4. All entries and payment MUST BE DONE BY TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 4, 2012
Location and Deadlines for Wine Delivery
1. Four (4) bottles of each wine entered must be delivered on either Monday Sept 17 or Tuesday Sept 18 to: Marjorie King, Manteo Resort Waterfront Hotel and Villas, 3762 Lakeshore Road, Kelowna, BC V1W 3L4
2. Please note if you will be unable to deliver the wine during these delivery days, you MUST contact Marjorie King at email@example.com before Sept 17.
3. If you are shipping your wines, please address the shipment to BC Wine Awards, Okanagan Wine Festivals Attention: Mark Golbey, Manteo Resort Waterfront Hotel and Villas, 3762 Lakeshore Road Kelowna tel: 250-860-1031. Please time your shipment for delivery on September 17 or 18.
We look forward to promoting your wines at the 2012 British Columbia Wine Awards and wish each winery the best of success.
British Columbia Wine Awards
The Okanagan Wine Festivals